Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Unboxing my Intex Excursion 5

I got my Intex Excursion 5 from Amazon got everything setup and checked in backyard. For anyone who orders an inflatable boat from Amazon, I would encourage you to set it up and check for leaks right away. There are always reports in the reviews of people receiving damaged or defective boats so getting this done within the return window of Amazon and Intex is crucial.



My box arrived in good condition, no worry about finding a boat damaged from the shipping. The box is big and awkward to handle. It might be prudent to have two people handle it to avoid dropping it, especially if you are trying to get it outside. The box contains all the relevant information about the boat on the front and back. I never did see pictures when I was shopping around so I posted them here.

Note the hull identification number that is highlighted. This may be important if you need to register your boat.


Inside the box, everything is contained in the provided carrying case. The bag makes it much easier to handle the weight but I will be planning a way to transport the boat that is hopefully slightly easier and more functional.




In the bag are all the items you need to get started, oars, seats, and a hand pump.


Getting the boat set up is pretty simple. The directions are adequate, but I didn't spend any time looking them over, I just dove in. First came the seats. These can be inflated with the hand pump by using one of the nozzle attachments. Its worth noting the the instructions advise inflating them to 75%, installing them, and then inflating them the rest of the way.



Next up was the boat itself. For this I followed the recommended order of inflation. I started with the floor and then did the outer chambers in numerical order. Again, the hand pump worked well but it did get tiring. An electric pump will definitely be on the upgrade list. I had some issue with the piston pulling out of the pump but this was user error in drawing it out to far. Once I figured out them best method to use the pump, the boat inflated quickly. From flat to fully inflated, it took about 15 minutes on my first try.



From there, I added the seats, rope, fishing rod holders, and the oars to complete the setup. All told, from pumping up the seats to finishing the setup it took about 25 minutes. Not bad for the first time.


Next up, building a floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment